ALL YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT WBCS
West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) sets the WBCS exam syllabus. There are three tiers in the examination– Preliminary, Mains and Interview.
In this article, we will check WBCS Syllabus and the exam pattern of both prelims and mains.
Salient points of WBCS Syllabus 2020:
1. The WBCS Prelims will have only one paper- General Studies. There is no Aptitude Test, unlike various other State Service Exams.
2. The WBCS Mains Exam has 8 papers out of which 4 are of MCQ-type. (Optional Subjects are meant to be taken by candidates opting for Group A and Group B services.)
3. The Mains Exam (Conventional/Essay) is allowed to be taken only in Bengali/English language.
4. There is a deduction of 10% of the total marks secured by the candidate if he/she discloses his/her identity by writing his/her roll number/name.
WBCS Syllabus In Detail:
The State Service Examinations of most of the states are aligned on the similar pattern of Indian Civil Service Examination where Preliminary stage consists of one paper on General Studies and one on Aptitude Test. In WBCS exam, the preliminary stage has only one paper, which is of General Studies. There is no Aptitude Test paper to qualify for the next stage. Mains examination has eight papers. Candidates can read WBCS Mains syllabus in the article below. Candidates may read below the details of WBCS Prelims and Mains.
The WBPCS Prelims Exam takes place at various centres in Kolkata and few other districts of West Bengal. Darjeeling as a centre is allowed to be chosen only by the Scheduled Tribes of the Darjeeling district and by candidates from three hill-divisions: Darjeeling Sadar, Mirik and Kurseong. Candidates can check the linked detailed syllabus and eligibilitty to know about the WBPSC Eligibility.
WBCS Preliminary Syllabus:
The WBCS Preliminary Syllabus comprises eight subjects/topics. Each topic is assigned 25 marks. The Prelims is only a screening test, and its total marks (200) are not considered for final selection. The commission has clearly stated in its notification that the Prelims Exam tests the level of knowledge as that of a graduate of any faculty from any recognized university.
The eight topics given in WBCS Prelims Syllabus are:
1. English Composition
1. Synonyms and Antonyms
2. Idioms and Phrases
3. Vocabulary Test
4. Phrasal Verbs
6. Fill in the qualifying words
2. General Science
1. General appreciation
2. Understanding of science
3. Matters of everyday observation
4. Experience as expected from an educated person not having made special studies of scientific disciplines
3. Current Events of National and International Importance
1. Significant events affecting India and its relations with the world
4. History of India
5. Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal
1. Physical Geography
2. Social Geography
3. Economic Geography
6. Indian Polity and Economy
1. Indian Constitution
2. Panchayati Raj
3. Constitutional Bodies, etc.
7. Indian National Movement
1. Nature and character of Nineteenth Century Resurgence
2. Growth of Nationalism
3. Attainment of Independence
8. General Mental Ability
1. Logical Reasoning
2. Common Aptitude
For number analysis please follow the below link –
For syllabus for Optional Papers Please follow the below link
For syllabus for Main Papers and Notification for WBCS 2020